Media Relations Guidelines
Internal (Campus & Facility) Media Relations
Information to be released to the local news media can be directed to the Communications Department via e-mail at
MariaADiPetta@katyisd.org or by phone at 281-396-2308.
Press releases regarding school activities, events and/or student/staff achievements are sent to local media, including but not limited to local TV stations, radio, magazines and/or newspapers.
If you have a suggestion or idea for a news release, please provide as much information about the activity or event as possible to
MariaADiPetta@katyisd.org. Be sure to include a contact name and number. We urge you to include high resolution (150 pixels per inch or higher) color photos, whenever possible. If photos of students are included, please ensure the students have proper privacy codes on file.
Television, Print & Digital Media Relations Guidelines
It is the
policy of the Katy Independent School District to work cooperatively with the news media for coverage of issues and events involving the school district, its students and/or staff. However, Katy ISD is dedicated to providing all students with a safe, learning environment without unnecessary interruptions. Therefore, the following guidelines are in effect at all district campuses and facilities:
- All media inquiries should be directed to the Communications Department.
- The Communications Department should be contacted immediately when a representative of the media visits a campus. If the media visits a Katy ISD site without prior approval from the Communications Department, he or she should be asked to leave and sent to the Communications Department.
- Media personnel may be allowed on campus to interview staff or students during the school day with approval from the Communications Department and appropriate notification to the campus or building administrator.
- Cameras/reporters will
not be allowed into the classroom or on the campus unless the classroom teacher and/or appropriate staff members have been notified and it is determined that such a visit will not be disruptive to the learning environment.
- Photographs or video may be taken by the media at the discretion of the Manager for Media Relations and/or Director of Communications. All students who are being interviewed, photographed and/or videotaped must have proper privacy codes on file
before media arrives on campus.
- The Manager for Media Relations shall be the official spokesperson for Katy ISD.
- A Communications staff will serve as media's point of contact when on campuses.