Katy ISD Parents as Observers in Canvas
Who has access?
Parents and guardians of students at the following schools can log into Canvas using their HAC user name and password. Campuses will notify parents as access is added to their school.
High Schools: CRHS, KHS, KVS, MCHS, MCTC, MRHS, OTHS, PHS, SLHS, THS
Junior High Schools: All
Elementary Schools: BCE, BHE, GE, JEE, JWE, MGE, OKE, MCE, RAE, RJWE, TWE, WCE, WME
How will Parents access Canvas?
- Your username and password are the same as your Home Access Center (HAC) account. For information on the HAC, click here .
- If you change your HAC password it will work in Canvas the following day.
- If you are experiencing trouble with your HAC login or password, please contact your student's home campus registrar.
- Parents should not use their student's log in credentials.
Access Canvas Using a browser:
- The link to Canvas is http://katyisd.instructure.com
- Log in using your HAC user name and password.
- Please bookmark the Canvas login website for easy access.
Access Canvas using the Canvas Parent app on a mobile device:
How to Set Up Text and Email Notifications
Parents can configure their Canvas account to send text and email notifications to be notified of grades and announcements plus other activities in Canvas. To learn about Canvas Notifications visit How to Set Up My Notifications as an Observer.
What is Canvas?
Canvas is a learning management system (LMS) that allows teachers to provide instructional support, class calendars, assignments and resources for students in a safe online environment. For traditional face to face classes, Canvas is a integral part of sharing blended classroom instruction. All courses in the Katy ISD Virtual School are completely hosted in Canvas where students access their online course and their Katy ISD teacher. All Canvas courses are developed by Katy ISD and are aligned to the Katy ISD Curriculum including the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS).
What is an Observer role in Canvas?
Observers have limited permissions that allow them to see what is going on in a course and a calendar of assignments. Like students, Observers cannot view a course until it is published and the course has started. For assistance with Assignments, Test Dates, Quizzes, or other Canvas course content, please contact your child’s teacher.
What can Parents view in Canvas?
Below are the features available to Parents. Please note that not all courses use all features.
- Set your Notifications
- View the Dashboard
- View the course Syllabus
- View Assignments
- View Canvas Grades
- View the Calendar
- Communicate with the teacher